Database adapters

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Mon Jul 12 16:47:48 EDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:07:20 -0400, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:

> 	I'm using Python for my database work, and need to be able to connect
> to various servers, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, and others.
> There are a number of adapters available for each of these, but I run
> into the same problem with all: I need to have that database server
> installed on the machine for which I need to build the adapter. Since my
> development work is done on a workstation and not a server, this causes
> a problem.
>
> 	How do I accomplish this? How can I build, say, psycopg so that I can
> connect from my dev machine to a server that's on another host somewhere
> on the internet?

I can't answer for any of the databases you mention but with oracle you can
install the client libraries required to get the adapter built.  I guess
there could be a way to do this with these other databases.

Failing that build the adapters on the server machine(s) find out what
libraries
they require (ldd) and copy them to your desktop (this assumes that the
servers and your desktop are the same platform, version etc...)

Cheers
Martin

---