Too many return-statements = bad style?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Fri Jul 9 08:22:51 EDT 2004

Some style guides discouraged multiple "return" statements out of
some theoretical superiority of the single-return form.  single-point-
of-return was supposed to lead to easier analysis.

Now, either this ease was for automatic analysis, in which case the
transformation from multiple return-sites to a single return site
might as well be done by the analysis software, rather than forcing a
human to do it.

... or it's for human analysis, in which case I'd say that my gut
reaction is the same as yours: having fewer indentation levels is
more important than having fewer return sites, within reason.

Jeff