Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Thu Jul 8 01:18:49 EDT 2004

On 2004-07-08, Charif Lakchiri <charif at kuc.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
> It is easy to learn?

    Yes.  Of all the languages I've looked at Python's been one of the
easiest.

> Does it support GUI programming?

    Yes; in several different flavors.  TK, QT, GTK just to name 3.

> Does it support server-side programming, say for web apps?

    Yes.  mod-python and zope come to mind.

> Does it have extensions and libraries, say for DB connectivity, serial com
> or network programming...?

    Yes.  Standard, in fact.

> Can it be used for administrative tasks, say as perl...?

    Yes.  I Python has replaced Perl for my admin tasks since I find Python
far more maintainable than Perl in the long run.

> Also, can it be compiled to native code?

    No.  However on i386 there is Psyco which provides some impressive speed
boosts.