Idle 2.3.4 on Red Hat 9 segmentation fault

Ron Kneusel oneelkruns at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 08:06:35 EDT 2004

I've installed Python 2.3.4 on Red Hat 9 and everything seems to be
working fine.  Tkinter is available and I can run GUI scripts.

However, when I try to start Idle I get a segmentation fault.  Using
GDB and loading the idle script by hand:

>gdb python2.3
(gdb) run
>>> from idlelib.PyShell import main
>>> main()

error here:

"Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 1074892416 (LWP 2870)]
0x407a3c6c in Tcl_FindExecutable () from /usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so"

Is anyone else seeing this sort of thing?

Ron