Looking for minimal SQL

Russell Lear russelllear at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 3 19:27:23 EDT 2004

Marco Aschwanden wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has a link / hint / book that
> assembled this minimum sql.

"SQL in a Nutshell" from O'Reilly documents both SQL99 and the deviations of
Oracle, MS SQLServer, MySQL, and PostgreSQL (including lists of vender
specific keywords).  Don't know if it is quite what you're looking for, but
it might help.

That said, I'm not sure that trying for DB independence is really what you
need to do.  By doing that you not only make your life more difficult from
an implementation PoV (by not taking advantages of useful utilities and
extensions offered by the specific vendor), but you may not be able to
provide the level of performance demanded by customers (depending on the
size of your application).

I recently developed an application for an Oracle database.  (prototyped in
Python, but moved to C#/.NET cuz that's what was wanted).  The original
version used pretty standard SQL and performed correctly.  Only problem was
that, under more extreme (but not-atypical) customer loads, it crawled.  I
needed to tweak the SQL to play to Oracle's quirks as well as using some of
their packages.

A better approach might be to provide an abstraction layer with
vendor-specific plugins.  Above the abstraction layer you expose a model
that's important to your app.  Below, you map to the DB.

Just my opinion.

Russell.