Simple Database Package

R.Marquez ny_r_marquez at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 15:55:24 EST 2004

Brian,

There are several embeded database management systems available that
you can use through Python.  Gadfly is a pure Python database that is
small and good enough for a lot of things.  It is an easy way to dip
your toes in the SQL language.  However, I would ask you, how much
"database" do you want to learn.  Do you want to learn just enough to
be able to write standalone applications, or do you think you will
soon want to write applications on a server with multiple users
accessing it simultaneously?  If the latter, I would recommend that
you first invest some time understanding concepts of the relational
model.  The DB Special Interest Group has some nice suggested books on
this subject.  You may then be tempted into going with a more feature
rich database such as Firebird (through the Kinterbasdb python
module).

-Ruben