Side note: Praise to the contibuters to this group

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Thu Jan 22 05:21:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:41:56 -0800, Amy G wrote:
> So, thank you.  Thank you to all who have helped me, and to all who
> have helped others to better understand this awesome programming
> language.

Seconded.

I think that the subject matter itself (the programming language Python)
bears a significant part of the credit.  Its design has at least two
effects that contribute to the helpfulness of comp.lang.python denizens.

One is that the language is so much easier to get things done in, than
many other languages.  Python programmers are less stressful, less
defensive of "tricks", less jealous of arcane knowledge -- because all
those things are not so common in Python.  Things just work, without
tricks, far more often than with other languages.

Another is that it's possible to experiment directly at the Python
prompt to prove a point, or verify the behaviour being described by
someone seeking explanation; and then to cut & paste the result directly
in a reply.  This leads to a much reduced effort to help someone asking
a question, leading to more responses, and better ones.

But the bulk of the credit must go to the contributors' willingness to
help.  Thanks, all.

--
 \       "I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything |
  `\                                  specifically."  -- Steven Wright |