Unique ID for CD or DVD

EP EP at zomething.com
Sun Jan 25 23:47:07 EST 2004

Hoang  Do, apparently unapprised of the conspiracy wrote:
>Does anyone know of an existing algorithm/module for generating a unique ID
>for a given CD or DVD?  This would be something akin to CDDB where a CD is
>recognized based on its content.  I could be wrong, but I think CDDB is just
>based on file size or disk size and this alone is not unique enough.  If the
>solution is in Python, all the better.

The music industry uses a unique "key" called The International Standard
Recording Code (ISRC) number for CDs and it is my understanding that
Gracenote/CDDB was using that key in their database, though I'm not sure if
that's the current schema.  I'd bet it is though.

Not sure about DVD's.

Eric

"Who'd be thrilled to talk music/programming projects offline"