Does anyone else not find the fun in programming...?

Chris Lyon chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 13:49:26 EST 2004

> (Actually typing this was quite fun, so perhaps)

Well, well ,well, what an interesting response !

I have taken a walk down the canal, I have totally ignored the Gov't
and have gloried in the fabulous Wolverhampton Wanderers win today as
football (association). Apparently we beat some team from the
Manchester area. Who would have thought it!

With regard to the actual pursuit of happiness via programming I can
acknowlege certain aspects of the pleasure to be derived from a neat
solution and python has certainly provided me with real solutions. It
has never run out of power for anything I have asked it. If you have
been following over the past couple of years I have attempted to ask
it some pretty stupid questions (for which I hang my head in shame,
Medusa forgive me!)

My own limitations are what I will obviously tend to concentrate on
and I think I am just too lazy to ever programme with true confidence.

However during the days, now long in the past, when I did right stuff
for fun which as it happened sorted out problems at work, I wish
Python had been my language of choice rather than Basic which I did
actually use. But of course...

A word of caution however I think the word fun is a dangerous one to
employ as I have seen it instill, at the very least, nervousness in
managements as they feel they are getting another crazed take on the
world rather than the carefully studied approach that the feel their
particular problem really requires.
Perhaps work will always be that way.

p.s I wrote my bilge pump measuring website in Python and I did have a
lot of fun with that :)