Visual Jython idea brainstorming welcome

Markus Wankus markus_wankus at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 15:22:55 EST 2004

On 13 Jan 2004 09:36:57 -0800, Victor <forsale2tor at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had this idea two minutes ago. I am proprosing an idea to build an
> IDE called "Visual Jython" with Eclipse technology. This IDE is
> targeted towards building enterprise client applications running any
> Java platform mostly non-web based clients.
>
> My background is diversed in UNIX variants, Java and Python. Here are
> something off the top of my head.
>
> 1. Basically from UI perspective, it will be like as name implied
> "Visual Studio" like.
>
> 2. plug in architecture
> This IDE should define or use a componenent architecture to plug &
> play component written in Java confining to a Jython Plug in API. For
> instance, we can develop plug in for ODBC, Oracle, DB2, Informix, MQ,
> SAP etc for enterprise uses.
>

> 3. gluing languag--Jython
> maybe we need funding to support Jython for this matter to make it
> commerical quality.
>

> 4. .NET integration?
> Should this IDE generate code that can run on top of .NET to attract
> more VB/.Net programmers into this field?
>

> Welcome comments on features this IDE should have.

You should check out this project - perhaps you are headed in the same
direction?

http://ejython.tigris.org/

 From the website:

Description

The eJython project was formed to accommodate two goals. First to provide
rich scripting functionality to Java developers using Eclipse. The second
goal is to build a functioning Jython (Java based Python) development
environment inside Eclipse. The ultimate vision is to realize the
following requirements.
Provide a view with a Jython interpreter built into the view.
Integrate Jython as a scripting language for complex operations on
documents open in the Eclipse Editors.
Provide a development environment for developing Jython based projects
using Eclipse.
Attach Jython to upcoming refactoring extension points to allow developers
to easily write their own refactoring tools.

--
Markus