Why learn Python ??

Derek none at none.com
Tue Jan 13 09:28:14 EST 2004

"John J. Lee" wrote:
> [...]
> > All I know is that there are thousands of extremely large
> > projects written in C++, some consisting of millions of
> > lines of code written by hundreds of developers.  C++,
> > while far from perfect, has proven its worth on a huge
> > scale.  Python, at the very least, has yet to do so.
>
> See a recent thread here listing some fairly large Python
> projects.
>
> Of course, taking lines of code at face value is rather like
> talking about waiting lists instead of waiting times...

Point taken.  I once worked on a project where we implemented a
production system in C++ and then implemented it again in Python for
QA purposes.  It took about 150k lines of C++ code and 10k lines of
Python.  Python took less code because so many modules are bundled
with the language, but the C++ system ran many times faster.  It's all
about picking the right tool for the job.