UML tools for python

Alexandre Fayolle alf at calvin.fayauffre.org
Mon Jan 5 09:23:50 EST 2004

Le 30-12-2003, Andy Bulka <abulka at netspace.net.au> a écrit :
> Whilst almost responding to the 'dream project' thread I decided that
> this post warranted its own thread.  What about a solid UML tool with
> round trip functionality for the Python Community?
>
> Some attempts at reverse engineering python are
>   PyReverse http://www.logilab.org/projects/pyreverse/
<snip>
>  PyReverse is hard to use, misses a lot of
> basic information and then what do you do with the XML files? - who
> will read these?  I have to edit them manually to import them into
> Enterprise Architect

Well, I think the first thing you could do if you have specific problems
with any of the tools you mention is getting in touch with the
developers, and try to talk with them. Since we've never heard of your
problems with pyreverse, there's hardly any chance that we will do
anything for you. Logilab's python-project mailing list is waiting for
your posts (http://lists.logilab.org/mailman/listinfo/python-projects to
subscribe)

> Do we think that having a solid UML tool with full round trip
> facilities plus gorgeous GUI - build specifically for Python is a
> worthy goal?  Is anybody going to bother to build such a tool for
> free?

Now, let's be reasonable. If this what you want (what you really really
want), since this is the OS world, your options are:
 * code it yourself and share it with others
 * code it with some other people, and share it with others
 * commission (i.e. pay) someone else to code it for you, and share it
 with others
 * wait until someone codes it and shares it with you.

But just saying "all existing tools suck, we (i.e., I) need someone to
build some cool free tool with <big list of features>" won't get you
anywhere.

Happy new year

--
Alexandre Fayolle