pycap installation problem

Mark Rowe bdash at gmx.net
Tue Jan 13 07:18:16 EST 2004

fahad wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install pycap-0.1.6 using following commnad:
> python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
> but it throws a lot of errors about missing files some of them is:

[snip]

Hi,

Currently pycap has not been tested under Windows.  I have made brief
attempts to get it to compile but as of yet I have not succeeded
(http://pycap.sourceforge.net/todo.html).  The biggest problems that I
experienced when trying to compile on Windows were my inability to
convince the compiler to find libnet's header files.  This seems to be
similar to the problem that you are experiencing.

The solution may be as simple as patching setup.py to point your
compiler in the right direction for the header files on your system, but
other code changes may also be necessary to make pycap function
correctly under Windows.

When I next have some free time and access to a Windows machine I will
make another attempt at making pycap compile smoothly out of the box on
Windows.  Patches and other advice in this avenue would be most welcome.

In the mean time, if your need for a packet capturing and injection
library from Python under Windows is pressing, take a look at the
Pcapy/Impacket combo provided by Core Security Technologies
(http://oss.coresecurity.com/).

Thanks for the interest,

Mark Rowe
http://bdash.bluewire.net.nz