[OPINION] - does language really matter if they all do the samething?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jan 25 10:14:10 EST 2004

In article <mailman.758.1075023273.12720.python-list at python.org>,
Dietrich Epp  <dietrich at zdome.net> wrote:
>On Jan 24, 2004, at 3:24 PM, Paul Prescod wrote:
>>
>> function random_sword_magic_power(quality):
>>     return choose_random_assoc(
>>         selector = (quality, (poor, medium, good)),
>>         properties = {        (5, 0, 0): glows_in_the_dark(),
>>                               (3, 3, 0): magically_silent(),
>>                         (1, 5, 1): elemental_power(
>>                           choice([earth, water, air, fire])
>>                         (0, 2, 4): magical_keen_edge(),
>>                         (0, 0, 2): ????}
>>
>> I don't follow what you are doing with the last line so I didn't
>> duplicate it.
>
>The last line recursively calls random_sword_magic_power() twice and
>concatenates the results.  It's something that I used a lot in this
>program, which I originally wrote in Python, but I was completely
>baffled trying to implement this part.  The reason you can't do it with
>a dict or list in Python is that the list is always evaluated, and
>recurses infinitely.  A dict isn't appropriate because there would be
>duplicate keys.  Think of it as three tables collapsed into one, the
>'poor', 'medium', and 'good' tables, where the relative probabilities
>for each table fall on a different column.

Well, choose_random_assoc() needs to dispatch on functions rather than
values.  That will recurse only one level, and only in
choose_random_assoc().  You'll also need to identify tuples in order to
pass in values.  Here's a rewrite of Paul's function that shows roughly
what you need to do:

function random_sword_magic_power(quality):
    return choose_random_assoc(
        selector = (quality, (poor, medium, good)),
        properties = {
            (5, 0, 0): glows_in_the_dark,
            (3, 3, 0): magically_silent,
            (1, 5, 1): (elemental_power, choice([earth, water, air, fire]),
            (0, 2, 4): magical_keen_edge,
            (0, 0, 2): ((random_sword_magic_power, medium),
                (random_sword_magic_power, medium)),
            }

Quite frankly, though, for this kind of application, I probably would
choose to write a domain-specific language (more precisely, a "smart"
config file format).  That would make it easier for someone who wasn't a
programmer to add functionality.  As I said earlier, I don't think the
fact that Lisp makes it easy to directly express this idiom makes up for
its other faults.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR