Debugging Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 10 04:02:42 EST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:29:46 GMT, Harry George
<harry.g.george at boeing.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure about others, but when I design and code using test-driven
> > development (TDD), I tend not to need to debug almost ever.

> told him almost exactly what you said: If you are doing test-based
> (whether or not it is with someojne else and thus Agile), you don't
> get into those grim debug sessions that are part of life in C/C++
> land.

Interesting comments. How do people generally perform these tests
then? My primary test tool, for low level testing, is usually the
debugger. Batch mode debugging is something I've been doing since
I worked on VAX/VMS systems and its seems as natural as breathing
to me. Its easy to save a test session and run it later etc. How
else do you test code at a low level?

Or does using the debugger as a test harness not count as
debugging?

Alan g
Author of the Learn to Program website