Debugging Python

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Fri Jan 9 09:06:33 EST 2004

Standard module pdb is popular (and what I use, though I also do lots of
print-statement debugging too).  There's also a win32db (or something
like that) in PythonWin.  Some of the IDE's have integrated debuggers
which are normally very similar to pdb.  I think HapDebugger is about
the only truly "different" debugging system, in that it's an
out-of-process (and IIRC, remote) debugging mechanism that relies on a
patched version of Python.

BTW, the Agile Programmer types have been known to suggest that
debuggers are entirely unnecessary, as everything should be caught by
more and more fine-grained unit-tests.  Seems like a nice way to go, IMO.

HTH,
Mike

Ashley Lloyd wrote:

> What do people generally use to debug their Python programs? I haven't
> seen anything out there that walks through the code, but perhaps I'm
> looking in the wrong places?

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/