Does anyone else not find the fun in programming...?

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Thu Jan 22 02:24:49 EST 2004

In article <400bcb2b$0$180$edfadb0f at dread12.news.tele.dk>, Max M wrote:
> Dave Benjamin wrote:
>
>> So, a data-flow style more or less... that seems to be a useful model for
>> music software. Have you ever played around with Max?
>
> No. I tried c-sound, and while it was interesting, it was really
> cumbersome at the level I am interested in.

Yeah, CSound is theoretically amazing but practically useless for me. ;) But
I've had a few friends swear by it. I played around with Max a little bit in
an electronic studio class, and found it very interesting. It's the only
thing I've ever seen that was worthy of the name "graphical programming
languaeg". A language you could program in entirely with a mouse, and it was
actually useful. My teacher used it to do MIDI routing and later to create
an algorithmic music installation in a musem.

For the sake of keeping this on-topic, and because it actually sounds like a
neat idea, I think it'd be cool to develop something like Max (or jMax - is
that project still alive?) for Python. What's the best way of interfacing
Python with real-time MIDI?

>> Yeah, makes perfect sense to me. Do you have any Python-generated songs
>> available? Sounds really cool.
>
> Nothing I will release. Mostly pre-studies.

Hehe...

>> The thing I was working on was a probabilistic beat generator, based on
>> statistics of when a certain drum would hit in a beat for a selection of hip
>> hop songs. I was trying to capture the "feel" rather than the exact sequence
>> of sounds.
>
> That is a good way to go. Bayes networks for rythmical patterns.

Interesting idea.

--
.:[ dave benjamin (rameny sp00) -:- spoomusic.com -:- ramenfest.com ]:.
: d r i n k i n g   l i f e   o u t   o f   t h e   c o n t a i n e r :