SystemError while execing bad code

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 21 15:12:18 EST 2004

Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I found a cool way to trigger a SystemError:

How about marshal.loads('0') ?

> XXX lineno: 0, opcode: 0
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/", line 0, in
>     File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/", line 0, in
> SystemError: unknown opcode
[snippety]
> But I guess this is a case of "so don't do it" :-)?

Definitely.  It's easy enought to crash the interpreter this way
(think LOAD_CONST 30000, for just one easy way).

Cheers,
mwh

--
 Very clever implementation techniques are required to implement this
 insanity correctly and usefully, not to mention that code written