scanning c-code

Ira Baxter idbaxter at semdesigns.com
Sat Jan 10 14:10:30 EST 2004

"tm" <js.bach at web.de> wrote in message
news:btj4oo$g58$1 at piggy.rz.tu-ilmenau.de...
> I have to to scan c-code, look for a c-struct variable(declaration) and
> represent the struct in a tree-graphic.
> Are there modules for scanning c-code and graphictools for the
> representation stuff.
> What would you advise as a starting point...

I wouldn't specifically recommend python for this.
This is really a job for a parsing engine.
(To the extent that python has good parsing
tools and good C definitions, it might be an OK answer.)
Getting parsing tools in python is likely possible.
Getting a good C definition, however, is harder.

You might consider an engine designed to parse
languages that has a good C definition.
GNU C is one example.
Another is
   http://www.semanticdesigns.com/Products/FrontEnds/CFrontEnd.html

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com