private class members and hasattr

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Jan 23 05:47:19 EST 2004

Dragos Chirila wrote:

> Why hasattr method doesn't return 1(true) for private member '__prop3'
> ??
>
> I tested it with Python 2.2.1 and 2.1.3 .

Because a prefix double underscore (without a suffixed double
underscore, anyway) mangles the identifier with the intention of it
being private.  That is to say, trying to access a __private name from
another class is a good indication that you're doing something you're
not supposed to be doing.

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE