Python Job Market

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Jan 1 01:02:01 EST 2004

    Samuel> |Thus Spake Dave Brueck On the now historical date of Wed, 31 Dec 2003
    Samuel> 09:47:31 -0700|
    >> From what I've seen the market is definitely growing, but if you're
    >> hunting job listings for an all-Python job the pickings are pretty
    >> slim.

    Samuel> *sigh* I know.  I didn't ask my question here without first
    Samuel> searching around to see what was being asked for.  It was not
    Samuel> encouraging.

I meant to reply earlier.  The slimness of the pickings means if you are
adamant about using Python, you may well wind up writing Python programs for
application areas you're not particularly interested in.  I think I'd rather
find something I'm interested in then use Python where possible, like so:

    >> The easiest way to use Python in your job will probably be if you
    >> introduce it to the company yourself and then use it as the
    >> opportunities arise

As it turns out my current day job is as essentially a system administrator.
I try to turn it into an application programming job at every opportunity,
and fortunately my management doesn't really care what I use.

Skip