[OT] Database reporting software

Steve Horsley shoot at the.moon
Thu Jan 8 16:32:47 EST 2004

I have an existing system working on MS Access, and software that
regularly logs events into it (and deletes old events after a year).

Now need to move to real servers, probably Solaris though possibly
Linux. Modifying the software to update the database (maybe mySQL or
Oracle) contents is easy enough, but how do I produce reports
(statistics and summaries) on the database contents?

I could contemplate web based or application based report generation,
but are there easy to use draggy-droppy report designing applications
around? Just the names would enable me to look them up.

I am struggling with OpenOffice.org at the moment, trying to see if it
can do what I'm looking for, but it doesn't seem to be able to do GROUP
BY and SUM() - simple aggregation stuff.

All suggestions would be very welcome.

Steve