metadocumentation (keyword help)

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Wed Jan 7 03:46:19 EST 2004

sdd <daniels at dsl-only.net> writes:

> Jp Calderone wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:27:06PM +0100, Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> >

> >>Where can I find concise, clear documentation[*] describing what one has
> >>to do in order to enable Python's internal help to be able to provide
> >>descriptions of Python keywords ?
> >   "Quote them"
>
> >   help('if')
>
> >   Jp
>
> Or simply use help()
> and interactively enter lines.

Yes, but this actually does not work out of the box (on any of the
GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and even Windoze installaitions I have tried). You
get an error message complaining about the absence of HTML
documentation and setting PYTHONDOCS. So, to rephrase my question ...

Where can I find clear instructions on how to install and configure
the Python documentation which is necessary to make the following
work:

   >>> help('and')

?