Help, *.CHM, etc -> *nix .chm viewer

Markus Wankus markus_wankus at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:18:28 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:48:48 -0600, Christian Wilcox
<cwilcox at etcconnect.com> wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone has written a cross-platform CHM decoder and browser
>> that has the help browser look & feel.  I can't find one, but it seems
>> that python would be a great language to make such a thing.  Maybe
>> I'll take a crack if it hasn't been done.  I like monolithic,
>> compressed help vs. a big directory full of html.
>
> http://xchm.sourceforge.net/
>
> Description from the page:
>
> xCHM is a .chm viewer for UNIX (Linux, *BSD, Solaris), written by Razvan
> Cojocaru.
> Success stories of xCHM on Mac OS X have also been received, and
> apparently xCHM even works if compiled under the Cygwin environment in
> Windows.
>
> HTH
>
> Christian Wilcox

Doesn't wxPython/wxWindows include a cross-platform HTML-Help widget set?
I'm pretty sure it did when I was playing with this, but it wasn't exposed
in earlier versions, or you needed to get it out of CVS or something -
which is why I went the .chm route.

Well, OK - I'll get off my lazy ass and check:

>>> from wxPython.wx import *
>>> from wxPython.html import *
>>> from wxPython.htmlhelp import *
>>> print dir(wxHtmlHelpController)
['AddBook', 'AddPendingEvent', 'Connect', 'Destroy', 'Disconnect',
'Display', 'D
isplayContents', 'DisplayID', 'DisplayIndex', 'GetClassName',
'GetEvtHandlerEnab
led', 'GetFrame', 'GetNextHandler', 'GetPreviousHandler', 'KeywordSearch',
'Proc
essEvent', 'ReadCustomization', 'SetEvtHandlerEnabled', 'SetNextHandler',
'SetPr
eviousHandler', 'SetTempDir', 'SetTitleFormat', 'UseConfig',
'WriteCustomization
', '__del__', '__doc__', '__init__', '__module__', '__repr__',
'_setOORInfo']

It seems to depend on importing in the above order.  I am running an older
version of wx so it may be better in newer versions.

--
Markus