wxPython: images from URLs

Jonathan Daugherty cygnus at cprogrammer.org
Wed Jan 28 11:42:02 EST 2004

# self._imgstream = urllib2.urlopen(url).read()
# stream=cStringIO.StringIO(self._imgstream)
#
# try:
#    img=wxImageFromStream(stream)
# except:
#    pass

I have tried this and it appears to work, but once I have
the image (from wxImageFromStream), I use it as follows:

try:
    bm = wxBitmap(img)
    self.bitmap.setBitmap(bm)
except Exception, e:
    print e

And the exception (raised by wxBitmap(img)) is:

  String or Unicode type required

(The exception is a TypeError exception.)

Any ideas?  No exceptions are raised by the block that
creates the image from the data stream.  The image is
a JPG image, and I pass wxBITMAP_TYPE_JPEG to
wxImageFromStream.  I have also tried omitting it as
well.

--

  Jonathan Daugherty
  http://www.cprogrammer.org

  "It's a book about a Spanish guy called Manual, you should read it."
                                                            -- Dilbert