(no subject)

Diez B. Roggisch nospam-deets at web.de
Tue Jan 13 11:17:35 EST 2004

Hi,

first of all: subjects are important - believe me. This is a question on
serial port access, so you should have mentioned that.

> I have read some of the documentation in Python.
> Before using Python as our project language it would be useful to know
> whether Python has functions, libraries/headers (like C does) capable of
> handling the foll. :
>
> 1] open and close serial ports,
> 2] set baud rates,
> 3] check parity bit/byte,
> 4] stop bits,
> 5] Hardware handshaking,
> 6] selection of port,......

There exists the very nice pyserial module, which makes serial access a
charm in a os-neutral manner - you can even use jython (python on top of
java) when you install javacom.

I use it in several projects, and it e.g. allows DTR control and the like. I
suggest you dive into the docs at

pyserial.sf.net

Diez