newbie,cgi,os.system,cdrecord

Rik van der Helm HAALrvanderhWEG at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 22 09:39:47 EST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to make a backupscript in python, which I want to manage via a
webform (cgi). In my script I use os.system to execute the following
shellscript:
"cdrecord -s -dev=0,1,0 -blank=fast -speed=2 fs=8m file.tgz"

When I execute the pythonscript in the shell, it gets executed well and I
get some output from cdrecord. Which I don't understand because I put
cdrecord at silent (-s !) I thought.

When I execute the pythonscript in a webbrowser via cgi, cdrecord also gets
executed well but I get an 'Internal Server Error' of Python and in
'/var/log/httpd/error_log' it says:
"malformed header from script. Bad header=Cdrecord 1.11a19 etc....."

I think I understand what is going wrong. Apache tries to print the output
of cdrecord and finds something wrong and stops executing the script. Is
this correct ? If this is correct how do I get cdrecord stop making output
texts ?

All suggestions are welcome

Thanks, Rik