Setting up test for XML-RPC

Moosebumps crap at crud.com
Sat Jan 10 14:30:51 EST 2004

>     MB> But the second question still stands.  I am running both the
client
>     MB> and server on my own machine now (Windows 2000).  Would I just
need
>     MB> Python and web server if they were different machines?  I would
like
>     MB> to avoid installing a bunch of software on the 20 machines if
>     MB> possible.
>
> You should be able to build a server and a client with just the standard
> Python distribution.

Really?  That would be awesome.  But I don't see how that works... what do
you enter for the URL?  (right now it is just http://localhost, but
obviously I would need to specify 20 different machines for my system.  They
are just bare Windows XP Pro machines with a default installation.  They're
"Windows Server" machines, I don't think.

If performance is an issue (it will be if you are
> passing large chunks of data back and forth), there are some things you
can
> do to speed it up:
>
>     * Install Fredrik Lundh's sgmlop module.
>
>     * Marshal or pickle your data first, then base64 encode them before
>       passing them to or fro.  This greatly reduces the number of XML tags
>       on-the-wire, and thus the encode/decode time and data size.
>       Obviously, this only works if you are talking Python-to-Python.
>
>     * Tweak things to gzip-encode the traffic between server and client.
>
>     * Use the xmlrpclib.MultiCall class to bundle logical multiple calls
>       into a single physical XML-RPC call.

Thanks for these suggestions.

MB