RELEASED: allout-vim 031229

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Thu Jan 1 07:50:28 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:25:45 -0500, rumours say that François Pinard
<pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> might have written:

>I sometimes use French words that just happen to be English words
>as well, once done the obvious morphological changes!  The word
>"synoptique" has been part of my early youth: even in elementary school,
>teachers were bringing us into writing "plans synoptiques" to summarise
>our learning.

[and Samuel]
>> I tried googling for the term and some variations, and only turned
>> up religious sites.  I wasn't familiar with the format or the
>> terminology.  Looking up synoptic in the dictionary didn't shed much
>> light on the situation.

Trivia of the day:

Usually, words common in two languages are derived from other, older
languages --like Latin, or in this case, Greek.  And most Unix users
will be familiar with the composite noun "synopsis" (hint: man pages),
parsed as "syn" (I believe "con" as prefix in Latin) and "opsis"
("view"), which means "that which can be viewed at a glance".
"Etymology", that's another nice word :)
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Ils sont fous ces Redmontains! --Harddix