Python on portable storage

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Mon Jan 26 21:23:37 EST 2004

On 27 Jan 2004 12:59:26 +1050, Ben Finney wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm experimenting with carrying my personal computing environment around
> on a keychain USB flash storage device.  I have the usual suspects on
> there: SSH keys, GPG keys, program configs.
>
> I'm probably not the first to think that a standalone distribution of
> Python would be a useful thing to have in my back pocket.  Finding
> information on that is proving to be a problem, however.

I did find this thread:

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.lang.python&threadm=VXcVa.28%24HY3.42617%40news.uswest.net>

where the OP asked much the same question; the responses were mostly
"boot GNU/Linux and run it that way".  This isn't what I'm after; I want
to walk up to an existing machine, and, without rebooting or installing
any software on the machine, plug in my USB storage device and run
Python entirely from that.

This will mean having a Python executable that can run under the
existing environment, of course.  What I'm hoping is that there is
information on how to set that up, so that the resulting storage has a
self-contained Python environment, assuming the executable will run in
the first place.

--
 \       "I filled my humidifier with wax. Now my room is all shiny."  |
  `\                                                  -- Steven Wright |