interface to win job scheduler portable from win98 .. winXP / cmdline or COM ?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Jan 20 06:16:10 EST 2004

Tim Golden <tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk> writes:

>>From: Robert [mailto:k.robert at gmx.de]
>>
>>I found the os.popen("AT /?") way ....  however it works not on Win98
>>and the "Day" you enter at the AT are language dependent.
>>(e.g. Mi(ttwoch) in german, We(dnesday) in english Windows versions)
>>
>>I need a solution work from Win98..WinXP most independent from
>>internationalization etc.
>>
>>is there portable way - or at all a way to manipulate the Win98/ME
>>scheduler ?  if no simple means, even COM stuff would be ok.  any
>>pointers?
>>

> WMI looks like it covers it, but only NT4 / Win2K / XP.
> Oh, sorry, I've just realised: the Win32_ScheduledJob
> actually refers to the AT service (despite the name!)
>
> If you're really looking for something which will work
> across every version of Windows, I think you're better
> off doing something entirely Python from the start. It
> shouldn't be hard (he says, having not tried it himself).
> The advantage is: it will work everywhere and you have
> complete control over it. The disadvantage is: you have
> to create your own interface and deal with whatever
> issues the existing mechanisms have already dealt with.

I'll second that this is most certainly the easiest solution.

There seems to be, however, a COM interface to the Task Scheduler, using
all custom interfaces:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/taskschd/taskschd/task_scheduler_start_page.asp>

As usual, the docs aren't that crystal clear, but I get the impression
that it's even available in win 95, provided that IE4 is installed.

Thomas