Retrive unicode keys from the registry

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Mon Jan 19 05:05:54 EST 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> Neil Hodgson wrote:
>>    The documentation for RegQueryValue says:
>> """ Unicode: Implemented as Unicode and ANSI versions. Note that Unicode
>> support on Windows Me/98/95 requires Microsoft Layer for Unicode. """
>
> Too bad. Perhaps we should link Python with MSLU?

I don't know how to interpret the license that's contained in
unicows.exe.

REDIST.TXT is this:

<quote>
Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/ME

In addition to the rights granted in Section 1 of the Agreement
("Agreement"), with respect to UNICOWS.DLL, you have the following
non-exclusive, royalty free rights subject to the Distribution
Requirements detailed in Section 1 of the Agreement:

(1) You may distribute UNICOWS.DLL with the following: Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium, Windows NT4,
Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.
<end quote>

Since we're not distributing windows ;-) I don't know what this means.

And LICENSE.TXT contains this:

<quote>
* Distribution Terms.  You may reproduce and distribute an unlimited
number of copies of the Sample Code and/or Redistributable Code
(collectively "Redistributable Components") as described above in object
code form, provided that

(a) you distribute the Redistributable Components only in conjunction
with and as a part of your Application solely for use with a Microsoft
Operating System Product;

[...]

(c) you distribute your Application containing the Redistributable
Components pursuant to an End-User License Agreement (which may be
"break-the-seal", "click-wrap" or signed), with terms no less protective
than those contained herein;

(d) you do not permit further redistribution of the Redistributable
Components by your end-user customers; (e) you do not use """
<end quote>

Thomas