xrange() syntactic sugar

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Sat Jan 10 11:44:02 EST 2004

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> > for i in 0:8:2:
> > 	pass
>
> This exact syntax has been suggested and rejected a few times now ... it's been suggested a few times on python-dev as well by various luminaries/ I don't think there's a PEP for it though (there probably should be).

There is, by Thomas Wouters:

PEP 204: Range Literals
14 Juli 2000, rejected.

This would mean [5:1:-1] becomes a literal short for [5, 4, 3, 2].
Is there a theoretical retirement period for PEP rejection? After all,
it's possible that the Python community and/or Guido thinks very
differently about a subject after 5 years. Not that I want to re-open
this PEP, but more as a theoretical question...

yours,
Gerrit.

--
4. If he satisfy the elders to impose a fine of grain or money, he
shall receive the fine that the action produces.