best book

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Wed Jan 14 18:31:32 EST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:32:31 +0530, km <km at mrna.tn.nic.in> wrote:

>What is the best book to start with python ? i am have been working since 1 yr with Perl.

My favorite to start is O'Reilley's "Learning Python."

Try to borrow it, rather than buy it, though, or at least buy a used copy.
Once you know Python, you won't be using this book for much; you'll be
using the online documentation or a reference-type book like (my favorite)
"Python in a Nutshell".

You'll probably get a bunch of responses, saying "You don't need a book,
use the online tutorials," but if you're like me, you like the idea of
curling up on the couch or in bed with an honest-to-goodness *book.*

If not, there *are* a lot of good tutorials.  A good place to start is
<http://www.python.org/topics/learn/>.