C++ bad-mouthing (was: Why learn Python ??)

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Jan 12 18:26:43 EST 2004

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
[...]
> C++ was motivated by the problems faced by big projects written in C.
> I'm talking about stuff like telephone switches with hundreds of
> programmers and millions of lines of code.  Even with very competent
[...]

If you're doing a comparative study of C and C++, that's true.

But many, many other languages that don't suffer from C++'s absurd
baggage also provide that kind of scalability (in terms of function
points -- nobody cares about lines of code).  The consensus seems to
be that the root causes of C++'s baggage are C-compatibility and
efficiency, not primarily the demands of large projects.

John