keynote speaker, PyCon Reminder: Early bird reg deadline 2/1

John Benson jsbenson at bensonsystems.com
Mon Jan 19 13:27:14 EST 2004

My curiosity has been greatly piqued to see that

"DC 2004 will be held March 24-26, 2004 in Washington, D.C.  The keynote
speaker is Mitch Kapor of the Open Source Applications Foundation
(http://www.osafoundation.org/). "

Isn't Kapor the Lotus guy that tried to quash Borlands Quattro Pro because
it offered an alternative Lotus-user-friendly menuing structure? (see
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Copyright/copyright.html)

And who also claimed that "it is my heartfelt belief that many of the
increasing number of recently issued software patents, concerning, for
instance, fundamental techniques and artifacts of user interfaces, should
never have been granted in the first place because of their failure to
qualify as either novel or non-obvious. Some patents appear to preempt
automation of common functions such as footnoting. This to me is like
allowing a patent on the round steering wheel."
(http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/software_patent_kapor.htm)

I'm experiencing some severe cognitive dissonance here. Can anybody help?