what is best for web development??

Graham Fawcett graham__fawcett at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 13:52:33 EST 2004

Wilk <wilkSPAM at OUTflibuste.net> wrote in message news:<87oet9grqy.fsf at blakie.riol>...
> ketulp_baroda at yahoo.com writes:
>
> > The problem i am facing here is i dont know what to use for
> > development of the application. I came across many ways to develop web
> > application in python which I already specified like
> > i)the cgi module in python
> > ii)Python Server Pages
> > iii)Quixote
> > iv)WebWare
> > v)Zope etc.
> > I want to choose such an environment so that i dont have to install
> > other softwares to run my application.For eg. I think if I develop
> > using zope then the client also has to install zope to run my software
> > and i dont want this.
>
> When you use one of theses servers, you don't need to install anything
> else than a classic browser on the client side.
> On the server side, most of the servers will not need anything else, you
> can even start without server with the batterie include :
> BasicHTTPServer (it was somes examples on this list somes days ago).

Just a guess, but I suspect the OP is using the term "client" in the
business sense, not the client/server sense; that is, he's trying to
write a Web application that is easy to deploy on his clients'
(customers') servers.

If it has to be a one-shot install, I would suggest a Web server
written in Python -- Medusa or Twisted, probably -- that you could
bundle with your Python app. Find a Web app framework that (a) works
on Medusa or Twisted and (b) has the templating features you
require/desire.

I wouldn't jump at using Twisted's app framework (Woven?) on top of
Twisted's Web server, though. No disrespect intended to the Twisted
community or their great body of work; it's just that server and
app-framework are two separate concerns: one day you might want to or
need to switch Web servers, and you need to know that your framework
is portable. I'm no Twisted expert: perhaps Woven is indeed portable,
and a kindly Twisted person will elaborate here.

-- Graham