CD Insert Notification in WinXP

Tim O'Connell automator at no.spam.please.wowway.com
Tue Jan 20 19:47:53 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm using Python 2.3 on a Win XP box, and I'm trying to find if there's
a library of some sort that will give you a callback (or something
comparable) when a new disc is inserted into a CD Rom drive. I've done a
little googling and nothing's come up, so I'm not holding my breath. :)

If not, I'm thinking of implementing a thread to periodically read the
volume serial number using GetVolumeInformation from Mark Hammond's Win
32 extensions, then doing a compare against the last known value. Does
this sound "sane"? Any recommendations would be useful.

Thanks!
Tim