Does anyone else not find the fun in programming...?

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Jan 13 12:44:32 EST 2004

> I find python very effective as a language and can generally project
> most of my hazy thoughts into it. But FUN !!! This is work dammit,
> I have now ground my teeth down from the number of times I read that
> programming is fun. Football (association) is fun, walking along
> canals is fun, Arguing about quite how useless the British Government
> is fun but programming  ?

Different people find different activities to be "fun" (for various
definitions of "fun"). I personally enjoy _design_, and programming
provides a context for that, but there are other vehicles for meeting my
daily design quota. Python in particular allows me to focus on
higher-level design issues (compared to other languages I've used).

One of the interesting things about computers in general is their
ability to be a vehicle for most things people enjoy, if only virtually.
My sincere sympathies to anyone who is stuck programming (or doing any
other kind of work with computers) for a paycheck only.

FuManChu