Why learn Python ??

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 19:28:07 EST 2004

jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) writes:

> "David M. Cook" <davecook at nowhere.net> writes:
>
> > In article <40029dad$0$28706$a729d347 at news.telepac.pt>, Bicho Verde wrote:
> [...]
> > You could casually pick up enough Python to be useful in a week or so of
> > evenings.
> >
> > Perl is not much harder,
>
> It *seems* so when you first learn it...
>
> > but has a lot of "gotchas".
>
> ... and they never end!  Ilya Zakharevich (a "Perl God"):
[...]

Can't resist another bit of Perl-bashing: I just noticed this bit of
the FSF's license page.  There's an amusing (and not accidental, I
think) parallel between the language and its license:

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html

The (Original) Artistic License.
    We cannot say that this is a free software license because it is
    too vague; some passages are too clever for their own good, and
    their meaning is not clear. We urge you to avoid using
    it,[snip...]

John