Curious string behavior

mark mark at diversiform.com
Wed Jan 28 12:22:45 EST 2004

I've encountered an anomaly while using the string module (specifically,
string.split).  Here's the snippet:

import string

address2 = ' '
line = 'function, dealer, type, firstname, lastname, vin, blank'
print 'Address2 Type (first check): ', type(address2)
function, dealer, type, firstname, lastname, vin, blank =
string.split(line, ',')
print 'Address2 type (second check): ', type(address2)

I've extracted this from a larger script, but the error happens roughly
the same way.  Now, here's what I would expect to see:

Address2 Type (first check):  <type 'str'>
Address2 type (second check):  <type 'str'>

Here's what I get instead:

Address2 Type (first check):  <type 'str'>
Address2 type (second check):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"C:\PROGRA~1\Python\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptut
ils.py", line 310, in RunScript
    exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\test1.py", line 7, in ?
    print 'Address2 type (second check): ', type(address2)
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

What the heck is going on here?  I figure I'm just missing something.

- Mark Daley
Product Manager
Diversiform, Inc.
1-800-444-3445