confusion about Exception Mechanism

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Wed Jan 14 20:23:50 EST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:31:41 -0800, Zachary wrote:
> I'm relatively new at Python

Welcome!  Please work your way through the tutorial, to get a good
grounding in the language.

    <http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/>

> slightly confused about how the try...except mechanism is supposed to
> work.

Chapter 8 of the tutorial deals with errors and exceptions.

> I am just not sure how it would
> be used, as it just seems that it is another sort of loop.

Goodness, that *is* confused :-)

> Is their any sort of example I could look at, that has an example of
> how it is applied?

Work your way through the tutorial, start to finish, and see if it
doesn't also answer a whole lot of other questions -- including ones you
haven't thought of yet.

--
 \         "Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the |
  `\               occurrence of the improbable."  -- Henry L. Mencken |