unable to register PythonService.exe

ChrisD prof_888 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 17:36:39 EST 2004

I'm running Python 2.3.3 with Win32 extensions win32all-163.  I'm
working through Chapter 18 of Mark Hammond's excellent "Python
Programming on Win32".  On page 350 the simple NT service example
requires that the PythonService.exe program be registered.  However,
when I attempt it I get this error:

C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32>PythonService /register
Registering the Python Service Manager...
Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread

abnormal program termination

Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem?

thank you!

Chris