problem with async chat client in windows

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Mon Jan 5 14:24:41 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 04:49:56PM +0100, Jonas wrote:
> Jp Calderone wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:02:29AM +0100, Jonas wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>I'm writing a small chat client to learn some python and networking. No
> >>problem with the network stuff tho, the problem is when the user should
> >>be able to interact and type messages to send. Since I work with windows
> >>I can't use the select function
> >

> >  Why not?  select works perfectly well on Windows.
> >
> >  See http://www.twistedmatrix.com/
> >
> >  Jp
> >

> Well the standard library select doesn't work for file descriptors like
> stdin on windows and I didn't know about Twisted. Anyway there must be some
> way to solve this without the need for extra depencencies??

  Ahh!  I did not jump from "type messages to send" to "select on stdin",
just assumed you were popping up a window into which the user could type.

  Twisted won't help with reading from stdin, as it relies on select()
working on that file descriptor.

  Not sure if one of the win32-specific modules has something useful here.
I'd probably just use a GUI.

  Sorry,

  Jp