Tkinter and OS X 10.3?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Jan 6 07:29:44 EST 2004

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> In article <btcbrv$fl4$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
> Russell E. Owen <no at spam.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >You are almost certainly typing python instead of pythonw at the
> >terminal prompt. This results in exactly the error described. (I'm not
> >sure why there are two commands instead of python doing whatever extra
> >magic pythonw does.)
>
> I'd guess that pythonw imports more stuff; if you want to run a non-GUI
> application (say in a cron job), that would be wasteful.

pythonw connects to the window server.  If there is no window server
(logged in in text mode or via ssh) this could be considered a
disadvantage.  I don't know if it's possible to try to connect and do
something sensible if it fails, but given the separatedness of python
& pythonw, I'd guess not.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  If I had wanted your website to make noise I would have licked
  my finger and rubbed it across the monitor.