Creating a capabilities-based restricted execution system

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sat Jan 3 19:44:42 EST 2004

"Aahz" <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote in message
news:bt7lbp$ovg$1 at panix2.panix.com...
> In article <vveg0bb6is2f60 at news.supernews.com>,
> John Roth <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:
> >"Sean R. Lynch" <seanl at chaosring.org> wrote in message
> >news:9Jecnc6TZdy4lGqiXTWc-w at speakeasy.net...

> >> Hmmm, can you give me an example of a Python application that works
> >> this way? Zope seems to be doing fine using RestrictedPython.
> >> RestrictedPython is, in fact, an attempt to provide different
> >> execution environments within the same memory space, which is the
> >> whole point of my exercise. Now, I know that the lack of an example
> >> of insecurity is not proof of security, but can you think of a way to
> >> escape from RestrictedPython's environment? DoS is still possible,
> >> but as I'm not planning on using this for completely untrusted users,
> >> I'm not too concerned about that.
> >
> >Restricted Python was withdrawn because of a number of holes, of which
> >new style classes were the last straw.
>
> RestrictedPython was *not* withdrawn; rexec was withdrawn.  This is a
> difficult enough issue to discuss without confusing different modules.
See

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/SupportPython21/RestrictedPython

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The Zope page you reference
says that they were (prior to 2.1) doing things like modifying generated
byte code and reworking the AST. That's fun stuff I'm sure, but it
doesn't have anything to do with "Restricted Execution" as defined in the
Python Library Reference, Chapter 17, which covers Restricted Execution,
RExec and Bastion (which was also withdrawn.)

If I confused you with a subtle nomenclature difference, sorry. I don't
care what Zope is doing or not doing, except for the fact that it seems
to come up in this discussion. I'm only concerned with what Python is
(or is not) doing. The approach in the Wiki page you pointed to does,
however, seem to be a substantially more bullet-proof approach than
Python's Restricted Execution.

John Roth

http://www.pythoncraft.com/

> Weinberg's Second Law: If builders built buildings the way programmers
wrote
> programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy
civilization.