newbie py2exe difficulty

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Fri Jan 30 03:49:48 EST 2004

Open a command-prompt window. (You'll find the command-prompt's icon in
Start|Programs or Start|Programs|Accessories, it may be called "MSDOS
Prompt".)

Switch to the directory where your setup.py file is (use the shell's cd
command to move between directories, you can use the "dir" command to
see what files are in the current directory to confirm that the setup.py
file is present),

        P:\>cd OpenGLContext

        P:\OpenGLContext>dir setup.py
         Volume in drive P is DATASTORE
         Volume Serial Number is 74A4-1C80

         Directory of P:\OpenGLContext

        27/01/2004  06:01p               3,853 setup.py
                       1 File(s)          3,853 bytes
                       0 Dir(s)  11,575,771,136 bytes free

*then* run:

        python setup.py py2exe --help

from that command prompt.  You may need to specify the full path to
python if you haven't added your python installation directory to the
path, something like:

        P:\OpenGLContext>c:\bin\lang\py23\python.exe setup.py build
        running build
        running build_py
        running build_ext

depending on where you installed python.

HTH, and good luck,
Mike

Elaine Jackson wrote:

>Hi. I'm trying to use py2exe (http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/)
>in Windows 98. I copied the necessary files into my Python23 directory (where I

>My problem is that, when I attempt to follow the first instruction (details
>follow), it opens a DOS window that may indeed display all available
>command-line flags to the py2exe command, but isn't very helpful because it
>immediately disappears. (In fact I'm really not sure what a command-line flag
>is, or what I'm supposed to do with it.) I've also tried simply running
>setup.py: the DOS window disappeared immediately and there was no 'dist'
>directory in evidence.

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/