[Numpy-discussion] Status of Numeric

Paul Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Mon Jan 19 23:59:10 EST 2004

Having two array classes around is a terrible idea. Once you have two
popular array classes the entire world bifurcates. This plot package
accepts those and that FFT accepts these, ad nauseum.

I only suggested we do numarray because Numeric was, by general
agreement, unmaintainable.  It was hard to work on and lacked the kind
of robustness necessary to get permission to put it in the core. We all
agreed Numeric would cease. Let's stick to the plan.

If there is enough spare energy in the system for SciPy to be talking
about doing a NEW array class, surely there is enough energy to make a
real try at getting everyone over to numarray and having it suffice.
This means the whole community has to contribute, not just sit back and
ask for things. This is OPEN source, right?

I apologize for my lack of participation lately but I'm on a project
that doesn't use Numeric and is several people short. And one of the
people had a short person.

I'll be at PyCon, BTW.