wxPython documentation

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 21:35:52 EST 2004

Jonathan Daugherty <cygnus at cprogrammer.org> wrote:

> > Where could I find a good documentation about wxPython (a documentation
> > which is not for C++ !!!)

> There are some wxpython tutorials and documents but the official wxPython
> documentation is the wxWindows documenation itself -- wxPython notes are
> sprinkled throughout.

This is what I found off-putting about PyQt - the documentation
basically points you to the Qt C++ docs:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/docs/PyQt.html

If we've got to figure out the C++ code and convert it to Python, we
may as well just skip Python and write in C++!

The wxPython Wiki is OK, it's a bit brief though, but I've just looked
at wxPython today and figured out how to make a basic Windows
application "shell" in 3 hours or so:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/FrontPage

TKinter has the best documentation, although TKinter is a bit dated
looking, slow and has few widgets:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

At least [with a manifest file] py2exe makes an XP-looking program,
that's better than TKinter (not tried the commercial Windows PyQT,
just GPL Linux).