Batch commands on Windows

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Fri Jan 23 09:17:08 EST 2004

Moosebumps wrote:
> So, after reading some messages about os.system, and looking at the popen
> stuff and trying it a bit, I still have not found a way to keep a command
> window open for several commands (on Windows 2000/XP), while seeing the
> normal output in a command window.  All I want to do is do what a batch file
> does, but I want to actually have functions and associative arrays and all
> the other niceties of python.

Can you give an example of what you mean, in Perl as well as what you hoped
would work in Python? I couldn't quite understand what it is that you're trying
to do.

> What's the deal with that?  I thought Python started out as a scripting
> language.  And that seems like the most basic thing that a scripting
> language should do.

Dunno, although MS-DOS shell scripting is certainly a small subset of scripting
in general. Maybe with a concrete example somebody will be able to give you a
hand.

-Dave